Welcome to Sand_Point, AK
Sand Point is located on Humboldt Harbor on Popof Island, off the Alaska Peninsula, 570 air miles from Anchorage.
Sand Point was founded in 1898 by a San Francisco fishing company as a trading post and cod fishing station. Aleuts from surrounding villages and Scandinavian fishermen were the first residents of the community. Sand Point served as a repair and supply center for gold mining during the early 1900s, but fish processing became the dominant activity in the 1930s. The St. Nicholas Chapel, a Russian Orthodox church, was built in 1933 and is now on the National Register of Historical Places. Aleutian Cold Storage built a halibut plant in 1946. Today, it is home to the largest fishing fleet in the Aleutian Chain.
Sand Point is home to the largest fishing fleet in the Aleutian Chain. The state provides sub-regional services through public safety, fish and game, and the court system. Trident Seafoods has a major bottomfish, pollock and salmon processing plant, and provides fuel and other services. Peter Pan Seafoods owns a storage and transfer station. In 1991, New West Fisheries moored a floating processor near the City dock for Pacific Cod processing. 133 residents hold commercial fishing permits. Two exploratory mining operations are currently underway nearby, namely Battle Mountain Gold and Alaska Apollo. Locals participate in subsistence consumption of fish and caribou.
Sand Point marine facilities include a 25-acre boat harbor, with four docks, 134 boat slips and a 150 ton lift. The State Ferry operates bi-monthly between May and October.
Small Boat Harbor